ADU Zoning In Flux
NOTE: Our summary of ADU zoning located at http://urbangr.org/GRADURegs2018r2 is currently obsolete.
On 2018-12-18 the City Commission ratified changes to the zoning concerning ADUs. Theoretically there will be another set of changes, principally around permitting, sometime in March/April/May/....
Briefly, the changes on 2018-12-18 were:
- Gross floor area ratio increased from 25% to 40%. The size of the ADU now has a hard limit of 850sq/ft. Minimum remains 400sq/ft.
- This makes an ADU allowable with a primary structure with a gross floor area of only 1,000sq/ft. A primary structure of 2,125sq/ft allows an ADU of the maximum size.
- Gross floor area includes all interior space with a ceiling height of 7ft or more; this includes the basement. Below grade space is typically not included in the normal sq/ft calculation for houses.
- These limits may not be waived by the Planning Commission (previously a possibility).
- Allowed height reduced from 25ft to 20ft, except when the ADU can be located 25ft from the rear lot line in which case 25ft is still allowed.
- Minimum lot area of 5,000sq/ft removed; lots now only need to be conforming to the minimum lot size of the zone.
- Confusion between ADU size and Accessory Structure size has been resolved; and ADU doubles the sq/ft allowed in the Accessory Structure.
- No change to permitting process.
- No change to Owner Occupancy or Deed Restriction requirement.
- No change to unit (1), occupancy (2), or bedroom (2) limit.
- No change to parking requirement (+1).
Our ADU zoning summary will be updated once the final results are ratified [or not].